Friday, April 29, 2011

What I learned as a JMC major at UNC

My time as a journalism major at the University of Northern Colorado has been good experience overall and has helped me in my internship, which later became my freelancing job. I have learned a lot about editing; especially editing other people’s work as well as learning a lot about feature writing. Learning about feature writing has definitely helped me in my freelancing job at the Windsor Beacon because I often write feature stories. This class has allowed me to advance my writing skills, which have allowed me to become a better reporter. I very much enjoyed the classes involving writing such as the news writing class and the advanced news and feature writing class (this class). I also enjoyed the mass communications law class because I learned a lot about the laws behind the journalism. Some of the classes were really tough, but the professors helped me succeed in the classes.

I think the UNC journalism program does well with making their students well-rounded by having them take a variety of JMC classes. I think it would have been nice to take a few more of the elective JMC courses because a lot of them sounded interesting but I couldn’t take them because I was limited on the number of credits I could have.

I think I am prepared to work in the JMC field because I feel that I have been taught all of the essential things to get me started that I can build upon to be a great journalist.

No comments:

Post a Comment