Thursday, February 3, 2011

What this blog is all about...

The main purpose of this blog is to practice blogging. As journalists, we need to know how to communicate with our audience and blogging is the best way to accomplish that. This blog will also serve as a way for me to look back on my growth in writing during this class.

During my junior year at the University of Northern Colorado I interned for the Windsor Beacon and after my internship was over they offered me a freelancing job. I have been a freelancer there for about seven months now. I write a variety of stories from business to school to town board.

For class, I will be covering Windsor business. Through working in this beat I hope to learn more about the businesses in Windsor as well as the business owners. So far, I have learned that there are many more aspects of businesses then just there day to day operations. I have not covered a beat in the past but I have written quite a few stories about businesses in Windsor.

A few of my strengths as a journalist are being able to write quickly under pressure and being able to ask good questions of my interviewees. My biggest weakness would be writing leads for my stories; however, I have been working on it by writing my leads after I write the story.

I don't have a lot of blogging experience except the occasional post on my personal blog but I think being in this class will encourage me to write blogs on a regular basis.

I have always wanted to blog on a regular basis but I find that I don't have the time to do it. I am scared about keeping up with my blog because of my lack of free time. I am confident that I can keep my posts interesting because I have learned how to keep news stories interesting so I should be able keep my blog interesting. I think I will learn how to be a good blogger and will learn how to communicate well with my readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment