Tuesday, March 8, 2011

So far in the class...

So far in our class we have had two major assignments, which were a day-in-the-life story, which is a story about a day in the life of a person or place and a profile story, which basically is story about a person and their experiences.

Since my beat is business, for the day-in-the-life story I decided to sit in a coffee shop for a day and just observe what went on there. I chose to sit in The House of Windsor in Windsor, Colo. I learned a lot while sitting there about the coffee shop and its customers. I liked this story because I like observing other people. I disliked the fact that the story had to be so short because I had so many good anecdotes that I wanted to include but couldn’t because they would have made the story too long. I think I did well describing what I saw in the story because I made sure to include as many details that I could. I think I could have improved my story by adding more quotes, but the length also made that difficult to do. I wish I had known how much information I would get at the coffee shop before I wrote the story so that I only looked for important events.

For my profile story I wrote about Ed Starck who is a former mayor of Windsor and owns several buildings downtown. I learned a lot about Windsor as well as Starck when I reported on this story. I liked learning about the buildings Starck owns including the Windsor Chamber of Commerce building. I disliked all of the planning it took to set up doing the interview and making the video. I think I did well including a lot of information about Starck. I think I could have improved the questions that I asked to give the story more focus. I wished I had known how much time the planning and reporting was going to take before I wrote the story.

So far the class has been challenging but very informative. I have learned so much about Windsor that I don’t think I would have learned otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment